Friday, April 2, 2010

Seafood Delight

What a long day it was. Due to an important test I had early in the morning, I was awake at 6:30 a.m. And of course it would not be wise to study on an empty stomach so I decided to make breakfast. I made a scrambled egg and cheese sandwich on a poppy seed bagel because it was an easy meal on the go. These types of breakfast sandwiches have become a real staple in my diet now, more so than ever before. When I dug a little deeper I found that eggs were more beneficial than I had first thought. For instance, eggs are one of a few foods containing natural vitamin D. It is also a great source of choline, an important chemical nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system. Health advantages aside, I just knew it was going to a long day on campus, and I needed something to hold me over...which it did quite well. Between the hours of noon and 1:00 p.m. my level of energy was declining rapidly so I raced back to my fraternity house for a quick shower and had enough time to scarf down some french fries. I figured it was probably a good thing to get a little starch and salt in my stomach, which my belly agreed with too.
I drove home to Orange Park for Easter weekend and had dinner with my family. They, being aware of my pescitarian diet, decided we eat seafood. It was actually the first time this week that I had had seafood. For dinner I had broiled shrimp with grits and green beans. I also had a few samples of fried pickles, and anyone from the South knows one can fry just about anything. I can honestly say that the urge to eat red meat or chicken has drastically diminished. Although our discussion at dinner lead us to a few questions. What all does one considered available in a pescatarian diet? Is it just fish or anything in the water? If it tastes like chicken, such as gator tail or frog legs, does that mean it doesn't count? Maybe someone can help me better understand. But until our next time, chew it over.

No comments:

Post a Comment